If you’re looking for optical cables for your home entertainment system, you may as well get the best. Here are the best optical cables right now!
If you want to make sure that you get the best audio from your home entertainment system, it’s not just about setting up the perfect sound system. You also need the best optical cable to make sure you’re not getting any interference that can reduce the quality of the sound effects and the music.
You can then be certain that the movie you’re playing from your Blu-ray play is being transmitted clearly to your sound system. The importance of having the best optical audio cable can be easy to overlook, but even such an affordable component plays a huge role in how you enjoy your movies and video games.
Optical fibers are rather fragile, so you better check for protective measures and features. You may be able to find what you need among this list of excellent optical cables.
Best Optical Cable – Editor’s Pick
9. Cable Matters Toslink Optical Audio Cable
This is available in several lengths, from just 3 feet long up to 50 feet long. With 7 length options, you should get the right length so that you don’t have extra cable lengths to worry about (or pay for).
- Heavy duty Toslink audio cable connects Blu-ray players, satellite DVRs, computers, DAT recorders, game consoles, or other audio devices with a digital optical interface (S/PDIF) to your AV receivers
- Premium digital optical cable engineered with durable PVC layers and braided jacket increases durability and protects the cable from nicks, cuts, and kinks
- Polished heavy duty metal connectors and gold plated tips provide a secure and corrosion free connection with this heavy duty optical digital audio cable
- 360 degree grip treads on the fiber optic audio cable help easy plugging and unplugging. Fiber optical cable eliminates electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI)
- Supports uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound including Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD
|Cable Type||Optical Audio|
This connects your Blu-ray players, PCs, gaming consoles, and any other audio devices that have a digital optical interface (S/PDIF) to your audio-visual receivers.
The cable is covered by a braided jacket and tough layers of PVC. The connectors are made with polished metal with the tips covered by gold plating. The cables are also easy to plug and unplug due to the 360-degree grip treads. The connectors fit in firmly, so you know they’re secure.
It can deal with compressed 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound. That includes DTS-HD and Dolby Digital Plus, which can be a bit finicky with the cables they can work with. This also works with uncompressed PCM audio. This is basically a plug and play cable.
The cable has tethered caps, so you can just cover the end when you’re not using the cable. The cap keeps dust away from the fiber.
8. Suplong Digital Optical Audio Cable
This only comes in a length of either 6 feet or 10 feet, so your components can’t be too far from each other. But if they’re near enough, you’ll certainly find this cable much to your liking. That’s especially true if your sound system is DTS-HD or Dolby Digital Plus.
|Connector Type||Toslink , S/Pdif , Optical|
|Cable Type||Fiber Optic|
The optical cable here is covered by a nylon braided jacket, which doesn’t mind if you have loops for your cable. Even if for some reason you inadvertently subject the cable to twisting and yanking forces, the tear-resistant PVC can endure.
The connectors are gold-plated and resistant to tarnish, and you also have attached rubber caps to keep away the dust from the tips.
This is high quality stuff, and that’s further reaffirmed by the lifetime replacement guarantee offered by Suplong.
7. AmazonBasics CL3-Rated Toslink Cable
This is a bit more affordable than the others, and it’s not surprising that it only has a 1-year warranty. But it works for lots of people, and it can last a long while. Here you have 5 length options to choose from, ranging from just 6 feet to 35 feet.
- Toslink cable for connecting an audio component (like a sound bar) to a TV, receiver, preamplifier, audio processor, or digital-to-analog converter
- Provides multi-channel, fiber-optic digital audio output; buffer tubing and gold-plated corrosion-resistant connectors help ensure a clear, smooth-flowing signal
- CL3 rated for safe in-wall installations; made with low-smoke materials for fire resistance
- PVC outer layer provides added strength; flexible and lightweight cable; when unplugged, protect connectors with removable rubber tips (included)
- Measures 15 feet long
|Cable Type||Fiber Optic|
This doesn’t have the braided jacket to protect the cable, but you still have the outer layer made with PVC for protection. The connectors also have gold plating and when disconnected you have rubber caps to protect the tips. Just make sure you don’t lose those caps, as they’re not tethered to the cable.
You can install this within your walls, since it is fire-resistant with the use of low smoke materials. Its CL3 safety rating means that it’s suitable for in-wall use. By doing this, you have a cleaner look for your room and vacuuming isn’t as troublesome.
You can buy this to replace the cheap quality optic cable that typically comes with your electronics. The connections are nicely firm, so there’s no need to worry about accidental unhooking.
6. AmazonBasics Digital Audio RCA Compatible Coaxial Cable
Now if you have digital sound systems that are RCA-compatible, you need to go with this cable. It’s versatile enough that you can also use this for digital and S/Pdif video interfaces. You have 4 length options to choose from, ranging from just 4 feet up to 25 feet long.
- IN THE BOX: 4-foot digital audio RCA-compatible high-purity coaxial cable
- CONVENIENT: Connects RCA-compatible digital audio components; can also be used with S/Pdif, digital, and composite video interfaces
- DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: Ideal for compatible HDTVs, DVRs, cable/satellite boxes, Blu-Ray/DVD players, game consoles, subwoofer speakers, and more
- GOLD PLATED CONNECTORS: Corrosion-resistant gold plated RCA connectors and split-tip center pins for enhanced contact pressure and conductivity
- DURABLE DESIGN: Strong, flexible PVC exterior; minimal energy loss and protection against RF/EM interference
|Connector Type||RCA, Coaxial|
|Compatible Devices||DVD Player|
This comes with center pins with split tips, to optimize the contract pressure. The RCA connectors are also gold-plated for better conductivity, and this also makes the tips resistant to corrosion.
The fit of the tips is simply just right. It’s not too loose, nor is it too tight that they sometimes damage the RCA port. The tips are also easy to grip, so plugging and unplugging doesn’t take too much trouble.
Use this to replace your unshielded cables, and you’ll certainly notice a lot of improvement in the sound you get. When you have lots of EM/RF interference, this cable offers ample protection so there’s very little energy loss.
5. KabelDirekt Optical Digital Audio Cable
Now this gives you 8 length options to choose from. The shortest is just 3 feet when your connected components are side by side. But the longest is 50 feet, so you can connect electronics from opposite sides of a room.
- Optical digital audio cable: Perfect, crystal-clear digital audio for DVDs, Blu-rays, home theater systems, receivers, satellite TV, online streaming, PlayStation 4 & Xbox One gaming systems
- Home theater TOSLINK fiber optic cables: Professional cable works with multi-channel surround sound, uncompressed PCM audio and compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound systems including Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution and LPCM
- Highest quality digital audio cables: Optical cables feature a fully flexible PVC jacket with precision manufacturing to provide the highest quality, longest lasting optical cables available
- 24K gold-plated connectors: Corrosion resistant gold plating keeps connectors clean. And because these cables are fiber optic, they are immune to RFI or EMI signal interference
- 36 months manufacturer warranty
|Connector Type||Toslink to Toslink|
|Cable Type||Fiber Optic|
|Compatible Devices||TVs, audio amplifiers, soundbars, PCs, DAT and MiniDisc recorders, speakers, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS4, PS5 & other video game consoles, digital audio equipment: A/V receiversTVs, audio amplifiers, soundbars, PCs, DAT and MiniDisc recorders, speakers, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PS4, PS5 & other video gam.|
Like the other best optical cables, this can handle compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound systems along with uncompressed LPCM audio. You can also use this for DTS HD and Dolby Digital Plus.
The PVC jacket that protects the cable is very flexible, and that helps when you’re routing the cable in out of the way places. It’s lightweight as well, so its weight doesn’t put pressure on the connectors.
The connectors have 24K gold plating which ensures a clear transmission of the signal along with enough resistance to corrosion.
With the high quality of the cable, you can expect this to last for a while. It also comes with an 18-month warranty.
4. FosPower 24K Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable (S/PDIF)
Unlike many of the cables today that are manufactured in countries like China, this one is made in the good old US of A. We’re not saying anything negative about Chinese manufacturing, but we di emphasize the fact that US manufacturing tends to adhere to stricter quality control.
- [PROTECT YOUR TOSLINK CABLE WITH BUILT-IN END CAPS] FosPowerâ€s toslink digital optical audio cable has built-in end caps to protect your connectors. No longer worry about broken connection points.
- [INTERFERENCE FREE TOSLINK CABLE] No more Interference! Constructed from a high-quality fiber that completely eliminates RF, EM, and group loop interference.
- [PREMIUM QUALITY DESIGN] Unlike others, FosPowerâ€s Toslink cable is designed with high-quality parts. With metal connections and a durable nylon mesh jacket this cable is optimized for maximum protection against wear and tear.
- [24k GOLD-PLATED CONNECTION] This Toslink digital optical cable has 24k gold-plated connections and ferrules that resist corrosion, tarnish, and provide maximum protect for the fiber tip
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] This FosPower product includes a limited lifetime warranty. Please visit our FosPower website for more details
|Compatible Devices||Personal Computer|
In addition, the customer support is available 24/7, and it is based in the US as well. So there’s no need to worry about any communication issues if you’re an American yourself.
Once again you find the nylon mesh jacket protecting the cable, which prevents nicks and kinks. The design of the jacket minimizes the chances of damaging the fiber core just because you bend the cable during its installation. The high quality fiber core offers optimal signal transfer, and eliminates interference from EM, RF, and ground loops.
At the end of this, you have heavy metal connectors which look very expensive (though the cable isn’t really expensive at all). The gold plating reduces the tarnish and offers corrosion-resistance, and protection for the tip. There’s a rubber tip that protects the top, and you’d have to remove the tip (and keep it somewhere safe) to insert this.
As long as you don’t have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, you can use this. THis works for DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, and uncompressed PCM.
3. Ivanky Optical Audio Cable
Once again, you have an optical cable that works with a Toslink (S/PDIF or Optical) port. You can use this for Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed LPCM.
|Compatible Devices||Projector, PlayStation, Television, Xbox, Speaker|
The nylon braided jacket that protects the cable is terrific, as it doesn’t just protect the cable from kinks and cuts. This has anti-corrosion and anti-friction properties along with ample heat resistance.
The ends are also plated with 24K gold, and these are also corrosion-resistant. The fiber optic tips have super polished convex lens that you can rely on to make sure the optical beams are focused, while it reduces the reflection in the inner wall. The transmission goes smoothly even when you distort the cable.
Take care of the rubber caps when you remove them from the ends, so you can use them again to protect the ends from dust. This is CL3 rated, so you can install it within walls.
2. BlueRigger Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable
This is one of the most popular optical cables around, and it’s very highly regarded. It offers 7 length options, with the shortest at 3 feet up to 50 feet long. This is also CL3 rated, so you can install it within the wall and keep your home entertainment room tidy.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILTY: BlueRigger optical audio cable is compatible with Soundbar, Home Theatre, HDTV, Game Consoles (Xbox, PS4 etc), Blu-Ray Player, DVR, DAC, Audio Processor, Receiver/Preamp etc. Compatible with Toslink, S/PDIF and optical ports
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: Precision-polished 24K Gold plated optical connectors for optimal signal transfer and corrosion resistance. This protects against RFI & EMI interference. The slim connector design, allows for a snug and easy fit in the device
- DURABLE AND SECURE CONNECTION: Lightweight, flexible high quality PVC jacket for long lasting usage. This cable comes with removable rubber tips to protect the connectors from dust and prevents oxidation. NOTE: Please remove the protective cover before use. CL3 rated for in wall installations
- IMMERSIVE SOUND: Crystal clear multi-channel surround sound, uncompressed PCM audio, compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround sound systems (Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, ADAT & LPCM). It provides great clarity and rich audio experience for enjoying game nights and watching movies
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: BlueRigger cables are backed by a Lifetime Warranty and US-based customer support
|Connector Type||Optical / Toslink|
|Compatible Devices||Sound Bar, HDTV, XBOX X/S/One, PS5, PS4, PC, Digital Satellite, Receiver, Preamplifier, Audio Processor, Audio Amplifier, Speaker, DAC Audio Converter, DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Audio Splitter & moreSound Bar, HDTV, XBOX X/S/One, PS5, PS4, PC, Digital Satellite, Receiver, Preamplifier, Audio Processor, Audio Amplifier, Speaker, DAC Audio Converter, DVD/Blu-Ray Player, Audio Splitter & more.|
The cable is protected by a jacket made of PVC, and this is also fire-resistant. It’s lightweight and nicely flexible, so if you’re routing them through corners you won’t have a problem. It’s lightweight too, so its weight does drag down on the connectors.
Not that the connectors would be affected, since it has a slim shell that gives you a very firm connection for a smooth transmission. You won’t have to fiddle around with loose connections. The connector grips are easy to handle so you can just plug this right in.
All in all, this is a high quality Toslink optical cable that you can expect to use for many years. This even comes with a lifetime warranty.
1. SyncWire Digital Optical Audio Cable Toslink Cable
This has all the hallmarks of an excellent optical cable. It’s able to handle 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound, along with uncompressed PCM. The connectors have corrosion-resistant gold-plating, to make sure of the clarity of the signal transfer. The ends have rubber tips that you can put on when the cable isn’t plug, though you need a safe place for these tips.
- Perfect compatibility - Syncwire Optical Audio cable is compatible with standard and high-definition devices with Toslink (s/PDIF, Optical) ports. Perfect for the sound bar to receiver/preamp, Audio processor, DAC, TV and PS4, PlayStation, Xbox gaming systems etc.
- Unparalleled sound quality - features Corrosion-Resistant, gold-plated connectors and buffer tubing for optimal signal transfer. Clear uncompressed PCM Audio and compressed 5.1 to 7.1 surround Sound.
- Incredible durability - Syncwire Digital optical Audio cable Features a durable PVC outer layer for premium Quality and long usage.
- Friendly design - removable rubber tips to protect the connectors when not plugged in.
- Premium support - friendly Warranty support without any additional costs. Fast and easy-to-reach customer service to solve your problems within 24 hours.
|Compatible Devices||Television, CD/DVD players|
The outer layer of the cable is made from PVC for durable protection, and it’s easy enough to bend for installation. The PVC won’t tear easily as you maneuver the cable. This cable can even handle heat up to 133 degrees F.
What’s nice here is that this optical cable isn’t just capable of dealing with Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. It can work with Dolby TrueHD as well. You do only have 2 length options with either 6 feet or 10 feet, so you can’t have your components too far away from one another.
This comes with a 3-year warranty, and that’s fine as well. It’s longer than the typical 1-year warranty that many other brands offer.
Be aware that not all optical cables are equally compatible with all types of sound systems. Sometimes even an excellent optical cable just won’t jive with a particular audio system. Hopefully, you get a compatible optical cable that can give you the crystal clear audio you deserve to fully enjoy your movies, TV shows, and video games.
Length is also a factor, though fortunately there are often plenty of length options to choose from. But the length will determine how far away you can set your components from one another.
Flexibility is another consideration. You should be able to twist and turn the cable, especially if you want to put the cable along walls so they’re out of the way. You may also want to check for CL3 rating, if you’re considering in-wall installation.
In the end, if you have a Toslink port then you really must take advantage of it and get the best optical cable you can find. These are extremely affordable, even if the tips come with cold plating. They cost about 2 cups of coffee from a high end café, and even the price of a cinema seat can be more expensive than these cables. These are certainly better than the stock cables you get with the components you buy, and you must upgrade to these optical cables ASAP.
Try them once, and you’ll be amazed at the quality of the sound!